Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bulkness - cat food and other bargains

I am somewhat of a bulk Queen. I love buying in bulk - I simply cannot help myself. I have been known to buy 9 kgs of washing powder in the past. I walk past something really cheap in the supermarket (that we need) and I cannot resist grabbing multiples. I dislike buying small packets of things when I can buy big - uber Big! It works out alot cheaper in the end anyway. Which brings me to explaining the photo.

This past weekend my husband and I were driving to closest biggest shopping mall (around 40 min away) and we stopped to fill up petrol as the car was almost empty. Right next door to the petrol station is a bulk pet/stock food & supplies store. I said to my husband "I will go and check it out while you fill up." He nodded, knowing we needed cat food. I wandered into the shop, it was cold. It was one of those open, cement floor places with no heating. I wandered around trying to find the cat food section. Eventually I found it, the section didn't have alot of range. There was mainly cat biscuits, not tins. This was fine though as we needed biscuits. I looked at the range of cat biscuits and the prices. By this time M had finished filling up and was looking at the cat biscuits too. We worked out the price per kilo for each of the different brands. We worked out the cheapest one which is the one pictured above. It was $26.90 (AUD) for 8kg, which works out to be $3.40 per kg.That is quite cheap. We decided we would check out the price per kg in the supermarket of the same brand before buying it. We had to buy other items anyway.
We left the shop, continued driving, arrived at our destination and did the rest of the shopping. We looked at the prices of the same brand in the supermarket, it was around $7.50 per kg - what a difference. We finished the shopping, drove back and bought the huge bag of cat biscuits. We were a bit worried that Tiger wouldn't like them - as he is super fussy, but he loves them. I think 8kg works out to be around 4 months supply of cat biscuits too.

Other items I have in bulk (or have bought)

Wheat 20 kg (we have stone mill grinder - so can grind our own wholemeal flour)
Rice (Basmati) 10 kg
Lentils 3 kg
Brown Rice 5 kg
Chickpeas 4 kg
Red Kidney beans 3 kg
Honey 3 kg
Black beans 3kg
Toilet paper 8 double length rolls
Olive oil 4 litres
Sesame seeds 3 kg
Linseed 3 kg
Cashews 2 kg
Pumpkin seeds 2 kg
Sunflower seeds 2 kg
Shampoo & Conditioner 6 lots of 300ml bottles (they were $2.95 each on special)
Fruit Juice 2x 3 litres

As you can see I like to stock up. I dislike having to run to the shop all the time and buy pathetic small overpriced packets of the above items. When I can buy them in bulk for much cheaper and it lasts for ages.
I have even considered buying 12 bottles of tomato sauce because it is $1 cheaper per bottle than buying it in less than 12. This is not just any tomato sauce, it is homemade style sauce from a lady who sells them in markets. It is the best tomato sauce I have ever tasted, better than the disgusting artificial crap in supermarkets (which doesn't even taste like tomatoes). This actually tastes like tomatoes and has a small amount of spice to it. Its fantastic. The company is called Hells Breath, she also makes chill sauces.

I have inherited this buying in bulk and finding bargains trait of my Dad. If there is something cheaper out there, my Dad will find it. He buys lots of stuff in bulk. He has even bought chilli sauce in bulk. I remember having a 4 litre bottle of chilli sauce and a 5 litre bottle of tomato sauce often in stock when I was a child. He also would buy a whole box of bananas (the huge boxes that bananas are shipped in) and freeze most of them. He did the same with tomatoes, peaches, pears, apples - whatever he could find that was cheap and able to be bought in bulk.
He also bought all the beans, rice and wheat in bulk. We always had huge buckets full of wheat, beans, rice when I was child. Pretty much anything that could be bought in bulk, we had in bulk.
My Dad also has a knack for finding bargains, as I do too. However he can take it to extreme and spend hours comparing and looking for something cheaper. I however do not so much. I do like to compare prices and shop around, but not spend hours doing so.
My parents also used to bottle all the perishables they bought in bulk. So as a child, I had unlimited access to bottled peaches, tomatoes, apple sauce, feijoas, apricots, and ...can't remember what else.
I can remember having weetbix and apple sauce for breakfast - I loved apple sauce.
Oh yeah...I remember one other thing my Dad bought in bulk, probably the best ever actually.
He bought Swiss chocolate (cooking) in bulk. Dark, and milk chocolate in 2 kg blocks, absolute heaven. My sister, brother and I used to sneak into my parents walk in wardrobe and steal the chocolate, oh so naughty but oh so yummy! It was more my Sister and I actually. My Dad used to hide the chocolate from us, but we would always find it. After we took it, he would usually find out and then make us pay for a new block. It was worth it though as we had more chocolate, he he (so naughty!). I think we had to pay $20 NZD per 2 kg block. I don't know if I ever paid it all back to him either. I think he forgot about it after I left home.
So there you have it, the history of the bulk Queen.

0 comments: