Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Banksy






TV Has made us Monsters


While I was studying, in one of my art classes all students had to talk about something that they were passionate about - whether it be an artist, book, saying etc.
Anyway one girl in my class talked about this graffiti artist Banksy from London. She was fascinated by his work, she brought along his book to our class so everyone could see his work. I was amazed. It was fascinating work. Since that class alot of stuff happened and changed in my life and I kinda forgot about stuff I had learned. I even forgot his name. Recently though I remembered his work and still could not remember his name. However I googled him and found his name - Banksy. I was looking at his website and also fan page on facebook and was mesmerised once again by his work. It is very thought provoking and interesting. What's more no one knows his real identity and the police want to arrest him because of his supposedly offensive work.
I have added one of his drawings to my blog, I really like this work, it speaks so much more powerfully than words. I also like some of his other drawings from his website, one about the fall of man. There is also one of the Pope flashing and he has legs like Marilyn Monroe, rather random, but funny.

I also liked what he did, he went to the Louvre in Paris and put up a similar painting of the Mona Lisa but with a smiley face over her face, he also put an official looking info card with information on it - it got taken down soon after, but it proved a point. I like his approach. This is a quote of his regarding that incident, "To actually [have to] go through the process of having a painting selected must be quite boring, It's a lot more fun to go and put your own one up."

He primarily works at night, but plans his stencils beforehand. He makes sure no one sees him and spray paints his work onto various places that will have impact on people.

0 comments: