Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Limes, lemons & lemonades...

I have been quite busy. Recently I was given lots of limes and lemonades from a friend. I also got some free lemons from somewhere else. All up I'm guessing I had around 4 kg of limes, 4 kg of lemonades and 10 kg of lemons. That's alot of citrus! There is a purpose to the mad bulkness. I juiced the majority of the lemons and limes and froze the juice in small plastic bag ice cubes (Glad of course). So I will not run out of lime or lemon juice for a long time. I also grated the rind of 60 lemons and froze it, so I won't be running out of rind anytime soon either.

With the majority of the lemonades and some limes I made lemonade syrup concentrate. I now have lots of lemonade syrup. It's very delicious, very easy to make and very cheap too. Recipe here. I added lemon rind to it also as other recipes I found for lemonade syrup said to add that too.

With some of the lemons I made lemon butter for the first time and it didn't quite turn out as well as I'd hoped. I tried to preserve them, but I will have to redo two of the jars as they didn't pop in.

I will be attempting to make meringues today as lemon butter requires only egg yolks, so I have lots of egg white that needs using.

The house smells of lemons.

0 comments: